Hello, hello, I’m back! My classes were finishing up and I was focusing on that, but I’m done now, thank God!
My 21st birthday was on Monday (hence the feature image of me in a crown) and definitely one of the best birthdays I’ve had in a hot minute, especially since I’ve been waiting to turn 21 for, what, four years now? Of course, the celebrating is just beginning, but I thought it would be fun to reflect on 21 things I’ve learned in 21 years. So let’s just get this started, shall we?
- Loving yourself is hard, but focus on your positives. Know when you slay a room and relish in it.
- You shouldn’t get anxiety when a friend’s name pops up on your phone. Please, remove them from your life.
- Also, your anxiety is valid. It is not made up, it is not fake.
- Work smart, not hard.
- Don’t let people walk all over you. Be tough, be assertive, and you know what, be a bitch.
- Writing is an art.
- Equestrian is a sport. I will fight you on point 6 and 7 if you disagree.
- It is okay to love someone and sometimes not like them.
- Life will always move on, whether you’re ready for it or not. Remember that when you are anxious, heartbroken, or otherwise.
- Spending money is fun. But you do not need to treat yourself for everything. Save that shit, you’re gonna need it.
- Know your limits for drinking, working, and personal favors.
- Look up from your phone and look around. The place you live in is beautiful, and you should probably take it in. Social media will always be there, the shady oak trees and cobblestone streets might not.
- Always have bobby pins and a pair of black, pointy toe heels. You or someone else is going to need them for something.
- Sometimes, a parents divorce is really a blessing in disguise. It won’t be obvious at first, but you just got to trust me on this one.
- It is worth it to be spontaneous. Do it more often.
- Drink more water goddamn it.
- You’re going to make mistakes. That’s just how it is. Don’t worry about them too much and take those moments as learning opportunities.
- Don’t plan or over think your future too much. Usually you’ll be disappointed when life doesn’t happen exactly as you planned it. Just go with the flow, man.
- Patience is a virtue. It’s stupid af, but a virtue. I’m still working on this one.
- Remind your friends how beautiful they are and how much you appreciate them. They are special and they needed to reminded as such.
- Lastly: Girl, go out and get drunk. Life is too damn short.
I’m not a life guru, and I’m sure I have a ton to learn in the next few years. But if I can do it with a drink in hand, I think I’m going to turn out okay. Hopefully you enjoyed reading about my life through the lessons I’ve learned, and hey, maybe you’ll take away something from this little list.